So….how are things working in your parenting world?
Are you encouraged in what you’re building into the lives of your kids? Or are you exhausted, worn out, and clueless as to what you need to do to replace what’s not working so well?
Or—is it a mix of these?
Regardless of exactly how you answered that question, I have a book that could seriously be transformational for you. And I even have a copy to bless one reader with! Propeller/FlyBy Promotions very kindly sent me Paul David Tripp’s newest parenting book to read and review. It’s called PARENTING 14 GOSPEL PRINCIPLES That Can Radically Change Your Family.
Now, I don’t know about you. But I can tell you about my own experience. Suddenly our only child is in high school! And all those other years of parenting; the infant and baby years, the toddler years, preschool, elementary, and middle school years—they are behind us. I honestly do not know where they have gone. But we have this awesome kiddo who’s in the stretch of life where he’s preparing for college and beyond. How am I going to make these years the very best I can?
Paul David Tripp’s book is going to help me. Despite the fact that this book’s subtitle is “14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family,” this is not a sort of “five steps to parenting success” kind of book. Rather, it’s more of a vision-casting book; but one with very practical, down-to-earth actual perspectives that really can transform our parenting. I knew when I read Mr. Tripp’s preface that I was going to love what he shared. And I was right.
So what will you find in this book?
Paul David Tripp’s beginning perspective is that we are not the owners of our children. Rather, we’re the ambassadors that God has chosen to raise the kids He has given us to know Him. They’re not given to us to meet our own needs; to promote our identity; to make us look good. They’re here so that we can love them, show them God’s grace, and His amazing love for them as we follow His path of life for them.
Mr. Tripp has (as you might imagine) 14 categories of gospel principles that he recommends we rely on to inform our parenting choices and outlook. They are:
- Calling: I am being called to form a human soul
- Grace: I am not alone–God is with me in this ginormous task!
- Law: Our kids need to know God’s law, but that law alone can’t fulfill the work of God’s grace in their lives
- Inability: I need to know what I cannot do, to be a good parent
- Identity: My identity is Christ, not the successes of my kiddo
- Process: Parenting is a marathon, not a sprint!
- Lost: The wrong we do isn’t just bad choices, it’s a condition in all of us
- Authority: How can I express authority lovingly and well–not harshly–to my child?
- Foolishness: Where does this come from and what does it do to my child?
- Character: Informs all of our actions and choices
- False Gods: What things, pursuits, satisfactions are we valuing too highly?
- Control: Controlling my kid isn’t a good parenting goal. Character formation is.
- Rest: How can I rest in the midst of this vast job?
- Mercy: Am I a perfect person? Or do I need mercy as much as my kid does?
Of course, these are very short summations of chapters that are full of beauty and value to me as a parent. But they really have the power to shape me as a parent, and to help me to do well in the life of my child.
How this book impacted me
I admit it. I so, so needed PARENTING 14 GOSPEL PRINCIPLES That Can Radically Change Your Family. You never quite know where life is going to take you, do you…or the hard times you might have to endure. (It’s probably for the best that we DON’T know that!!) Our family has faced a number of challenges in recent years. Illness, surgeries, poor health, other challenges. But hard times do pass (even if they don’t feel like they ever will). And eventually, we came out of some of these. God has done some cool things, to be sure.
Yet still, I have been praying for a fresh outlook. For my teaching, my parenting, my life and relationships. And along came this book! It has been everything I needed…and the breath of fresh air that I was longing for in my home. I needed every single reminder that Mr. Tripp has included in this book. Here are some of my favorites:
- “If you don’t have this “who you are” perspective right, you will miss the essence of what God has called you to…” (p. 13)
- “Your work as a parent is a thing of extreme value because God has designed that you would be a principal, consistent, and faithful tool in his hands for the purpose of creating God-consciousness and God-submission in your children.” (p. 30)
- “It means that if you are God’s child, it is impossible for you to be left to your own limited package of resources.” (p. 37)
- “If you want to be part of the Father’s process in the lives of your children, you have to commit to being part of doing it his way.” (p. 94)
- “Children do what they do because of what they worship.” (p. 150)
There is so much more that I could share. But what I’d really like to do is to tell you to get a copy of this yourself, if you are a parent…or if you know someone who’s about to become a parent. Paul David Tripp has taken a lifetime of experience, of study of God’s Word, and pastoral care, and distilled it into a visionary handbook that can truly transform our parenting. Really, do this: get a copy of PARENTING 14 GOSPEL PRINCIPLES That Can Radically Change Your Family for yourself!
Or perhaps, you might win your own copy here!
I have one copy of PARENTING 14 GOSPEL PRINCIPLES That Can Radically Change Your Family for one reader who is going to be SO happy. Enter below in the Giveaway Tools form. Giveaway ends on Friday, November 4.
“Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.
Only one entrant per mailing address, per giveaway. If you have won a prize from our sponsor Propeller /FlyBy Promotions in the last 30 days, you are not eligible to win. Or if you have won the same prize on another blog, you are not eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification.